Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Life as we know it...

Gabe and I were talking tonight and he had a good idea about blogging about our life as a medical student family. I have always focused all the attention on our little girl, so I think I might give it a whirl. What might be even more interesting is I think we all might see a post or two from the medical student himself in the future!

My husband works harder than anyone else I know. He has worked extremely hard to get where he is at today. As a third year medical student family, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel (although that light is still really dim). The first two years while we lived in Kentucky were beyond stressful. He went to school all day, ate dinner, studied all night, went to bed, and then got up and did the same thing the next day (this included the weekends). Spending time together was rare, but when we did it was very much cherished. When I found out I was pregnant the end of his first year it came as a big surprise. Our little bundle was not planned, so of course it was an added stress to our already hectic lives. She was born in February of his second year in the midst of his most difficult exams of his student career. Gabe took it like a champ though, spending as much time as possible with his new daughter. Maddie and I moved back home in June and Gabe followed in July (after we spent about a month apart so he could study for his step 1 board exams). Our family makes tons of sacrifices everyday and those sacrifices are only going to get bigger in the future. I would do it over and over because this is Gabe's dream. But he always puts us first before anything. He is working so hard to land a good residency close to home so we don't have to move too far away again. I am thankful for him each and every day for everything he is doing for us. He really is an amazing husband and the most wonderful daddy to Maddie.

Life as we know it today involves living off of student loans (lots of lots of student loans), hours of studying, working many hours for no pay, moving somewhere new every couple of years, and just the uncertainty of where to next. I keep telling myself that it will be worth it one day (maybe when I am 40!) Trust me, I can hardly wait until that day when we are finally settled in one place and we are in our first home...it is just taking a little bit longer for us. We will get there....ONE DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of writing about your journey as a family! I really enjoy looking back and reading the posts about our experiences. It's so crazy. I have several still not posted, since I switched blogging sites. Reminds me, I have to get those up! Oh, and I totally know what you mean about being behind on achieving your goals... I was 39 when we got this house! :) Hang in there, you'll get great rewards from all this sacrifice! I miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, and I cant wait to read all about yalls journey.

    ReplyDelete